Saturday, December 11, 2004

Peanut is doing very well. Hubby and I are still very nervous parents, and I wake up to every little sound he makes. (Was that a spit-up gurgle? Is he choking? Is he hungry?...) I'm still adjusting to the feedings every 2-3 hours...I generally need 8-10 hours of sleep.

We've been working at breastfeeding and it's been a struggle. I've met with several lactation consultants and gone to a La Leche League meeting. I was worried about LLL, since I've heard some chapters are very hard on women who do anything but breastfeed and I've visited their boards and been disappointed in how harsh they are to women who are considering supplemental feedings. It turns out the chapter here is wonderful and the leader had some great ideas. At her prompting I contacted a new lactation consultant. She got me started with a nipple shield and supplemental nursing system. The supplemental system worked wonderfully with her help and for all of 3 or 4 feedings at home. The tube kept slipping out of Peanut's mouth or plugging up. He was getting frustrated and crying which made me want to cry. So, we went back to the bottle for about a day, then I tried the shield alone and it worked! He still gets a little frustrated since he expects instant milk, but at least he's getting something. I let him nurse until he's sleepy, then hubby gives him a bottle of breastmilk just to be sure he's getting enough. Hopefully we'll eventually be able to wean off the shield.

It's amazing to see him at my breast. Once he's latched on and comfy, he looks so happy.


No comments: