Friday, February 18, 2005

Peanut is three months old today! The time has really flown by. He's smiling more, cooing occasionally, and is still a squirmy wormy. He tolerates diaper changes now (thanks to the mobile over the changing table) and will even smile during changing time if I talk or sing to him. He's a once-every-three-days pooper and let me tell you, he POOPS. He'll grunt 3 or 4 times, then fill his diaper. The grunting is adorable. The diapers are scary. We've started giving him an ounce of apple juice a day (at the pediatrician's suggestion) to keep him pooping since 3 days is the most they want him to go in between poops. He absolutely loves his juice and smacks his lips when it's finished. It's a completely different reaction from the one he gets when we try to give gripe water. He coughs as if we're choking him to death. The stuff tastes like licorice and both mommy and daddy hate licorice, so he came by his aversion honestly.

I started back to work this week, just half-days for a couple of months. It wasn't terrible since hubby's mom is here to watch him and I know he's in good hands. When he starts daycare, I know I'll be a crying mess. Today was a tough morning, though. He was colicky until around 11 last night when finally snuggled him to sleep. He slept really well for 2 hours until he got hungry (it had been 5 hours since his last bottle - unfortunately the first 3 hours were spent with him crying and screaming). After a peaceful bottle, he fell back asleep, but was squirmy and restless. We slept in until he woke up for another bottle at 6:30, an hour later than normal. I really didn't want to go into work, knowing that I was an hour and a half behind my usual schedule, but I made myself get dressed and go. He actually went 5 hours after the middle-of-the-night bottle, but by the time I held him upright for 30 minutes (to avoid spewage) and pumped, I had been up for an hour and a half. I love the nighttime feedings because he's so happy and cuddly and falls asleep on my shoulder, but I hate the length of time the holding upright and pumping take. Now that hubby's over his respiratory infection, he can help out at night.

My mom seems to be doing better with her shingles outbreak. She has no new blisters and the doctor prescribed a painkiller patch that it doing its job. It deadens all pain, so she had to be careful not to accidentally hurt herself.

No comments: