Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Gramma passed away Thursday afternoon. She had a rough night, but had settled down. My aunt was there with her, which made me feel better about the situation. Even though she was unaware, someone who loved her was with her at the end.

Mom seems to be coping pretty well. I know she's sad, but she'd hanging in. I need to give my aunt a call. I last talked to her a day or two before Gramma died and should see how she is.

It looks like the family will have a memorial service sometime in the spring, when the weather is warmer. Gramma wanted to be cremated, so there's no hurry. As Aunt said, she can keep Gramma on a shelf over the winter and Gramma can keep her company. A springtime memorial sounds good. We wouldn't be able to go now, as Hubby is in homicide training, I have only 2 or 3 days of paid leave left, and we have no cash. Hopefully by spring we'll have some bills paid off and maybe I will have accrued some more leave.

***

I can't believe I forgot to mention Gramma's clothes and jewelry in the previous post. Back in the day, Gramma was quite the fashion hound. She had closets of clothes, shoes, purses, hats, scarves and gloves. And drawers of sparkly costume jewelry. It seems that her style of brooches are making a comeback and I always think of Gramma when I see them.

I loved going to Gramma's house and playing dress-up. She let me have free reign of the shoes, hats and jewelry and I loved it. I borrowed purses for several proms/dances over the years and still have a couple that she either gave to me or I forgot to give back.

When she went into the nursing home, my aunts cleaned out her house. They divvied up the jewelry and donated the clothes. I think some may have made it to our old church, where I went to nursery school. My best friend and I used to play dress-up nearly every day at nursery school, mostly with clothes Gramma had donated. I hope a new generation of little ones are having as much fun as we did.

No comments: