Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hubby had the weekend off and we took full advantage of it by visiting the local zoo on Saturday. Peanut was so excited to see the monkeys, birds, giraffes, elephants, pigs, fish, manatees, otters, and other critters. He helped me feed lorikeets in the aviary and kept his fingers away from their sharp beaks this time. We rode the safari "bus" and had some good close-up views of the African animals. Peanut splashed in the fountain. We rode the merry-go-round 4 times, Peanut choosing a differend animal each time. It was a great day and we all had a wonderful time.

Sunday was completely different. Peanut woke up before 7 with a fever and was miserable. We hung around all day and kept him comfortable with Motrin. A Monday trip to the doctor confirmed what Hubby and I suspected: strep again. This time they didn't mess around and Peanut got an antibiotic shot. His poor little butt has a big, nasty bruise. By Monday night, he was starting to feel better. I stayed with him yesterday. He slept in until 10 am!! We had a great day. When asked how he felt, he replied "I all better." Amen to that!

If he gets strep again, we'll be referred to the ENT. I'm afraid the recommendation will be to take his tonsils out. Neither Hubby nor I are comfortable with that in such a young child. I was a strep carrier as a child. My pediatrician participated in strep research and said that even without tonsils, I still would have gotten the infections and that I would eventually outgrow my susceptibility. I did. Maybe current research has found that removing tonsils does prevent strep, but I'm hesitant to put Peanut through surgery and the risks of anesthesia without there being a proven benefit. On the other hand, I don't want him to have strep 4 or 5 times a year like I used to and to be on near-constant antibiotics.

1 comment:

StaceyG said...

Punkin had her tonsils out at 8 months and then adenoid surgery at 18 months. She did great both times, and the surgery took like 15 minutes. The worst part is having them all groggy in recovery.