Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March!

Today is the 14th anniversary of when Hubby and I started dating. It's a date he arbitrarily and jokingly picked. We started hanging out with each other sometime in February of 1994 and transitioned into a more serious relationship. Neither of us thought the other was interested in dating at first although we were both attracted to each other.

We first met during the fall semester of 1992. I was a sophomore transfer to the university we would graduate from; he was a junior. We met in a Cell Biology course. Most courses in biology had fewer than 30 students and were taught in lab rooms. We sat at opposite benches, facing each other. We both noticed each other early on, but didn't realize it until after we were dating. I was still in contact with my high school boyfriend back home (although the relationship was dying a slow death) and he was living with someone. We only spoke to each other once or twice during the semester, but the class was small enough we could ovehear each other's conversations or would get involved in larger conversations with other students. That's how I learned he was with the other person and was into martial arts.

Oddly, after that class ended, we didn't see each other again until the spring semester of 1994. That was amazing considering our university only had about 3000 students and the biology department was obviously much smaller. Most of the biology majors knew each other by sight if not by name. We never passed each other in the hall or bumped into each other at the library or a party.

This time, the timing was right. Creepy (aka Shithead) boyfriend broke up with me right after Valentine's Day. Hubby was in a casual relationship with someone else (not the person he had been living with). Hubby would make passing conversation with me before class. He invited me to go for a motorcycle ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I was hooked. I invited him to a "love sucks" party that a friend had after she was also dumped around the same time as me. Hubby and I began to spend more and more time together, he got up the nerve to kiss me, I asked him to my sorority formal and that was it. He did go through a typical guy freakout of the "We're spending too much time together and I can't handle it" variety which pissed me off since he was the one calling me almost every day! We backed off and within a week or two he was calling again.

We survived my semester of undergraduate research in the Northeast and Belize, me going to grad school while he moved back home as a teacher (his support helped me so much in dealing with the stresses of a grad student as well as living with the crazy roommate), and me moving here for my job. We broke up for a few months (I was tired of the long distance deal) and he decided to get a teaching job here. Teaching sucked, he decided to go to the police academy at night, and as soon as he was done, he quit teaching and became a cop. Now we have Peanut, one on the way, the pets, and the house. It's all good.

I love you, Hubby.

No comments: