Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm exhausted, but very happy.

Bean is doing well. On Monday he was up 2 oz from his weight at hospital discharge. The pediatrician said everything looks good and when he found out we were having difficulties nursing, he sent in the lactation consulatant. Yes, they now have an LC on staff and she's awesome. She had another patient, so our visit was short, but she had some very good suggestions and we saw her again on Wednesday. She spent an hour with us and is so nice. I like her better than any of the other LCs I saw with Peanut or in the hospital and she really takes her time. For now we're using a nipple shield - it's the only way Bean will latch on and I'm pumping several times a day to keep my supply up. I'm not sure he's getting enough from nursing - he's on me almost constantly and always seems hungry, so we supplement with expressed milk a few times a day, too.

He's cute as a button and still likes to be held for much of the night. Hubby and I are taking shifts for the nights. He's starting to wake up for brief spells during the day. I love to look at his little eyes.

Peanut is handling his new brother very well. He's gentle and likes to kiss and pet the baby. He has a bit of attitude with us, but that's fairly normal. He's still sleeping in his bed. He woke up the other night while I was nursing Bean and flopped onto the couch next to me and passed out. Once Bean was done, I put Peanut back in his bed with no problems!

Peanut did give us a big scare this week. He was running through the house and tripped and fell against his step-stool. I saw it with my peripheral vision and heard the thunk when he made contact. I knew it wasn't going to be good. He cut his face next to his eye and bled like a stuck pig. He freaked out and Hubby yelled at him for running around - I don't think he realized how hurt Peanut was. Hubby was able to stop the bleeding with an icepack and compresses...all the while Peanut was crying and screaming for us not to touch him. After a couple of phone calls to the pediatrician we decided to bring him in, even though the triage nurse didn't think it would be necessary. Sure enough, he needed stitches which they don't do in office. After an hour there, Hubby had to take Peanut to the ER. Luckily they got him in really fast, were able to use numbing gel instead of shots, and Peanut got 2 stitches (which he thinks are bandaids). He was not happy about it and repeatedly pushed the doctor away.

We think Peanut may be going through a growth spurt. He's been clumsy and seems taller. Poor guy. His reward for getting stitches was a cool kiddie pool. Once he has the all-clear to get his face wet, he'll get to play in it.

No comments: