Sunday, June 08, 2008

I've been having feelings since last week that labor will happen soon...well, it did!

Bean was born at 10:38 am on June 5th after a very quick 3.5 hour labor! Hubby has nicknamed him ButterBean since he's got a bit of chunk. He's adorable and we're glad to be home.

My water broke just before 7 am on Thursday as I was getting ready to leave for work. I felt sort of crampy down low in my pelvis in the night and into the morning, but wasn't sure if it was anything important. I was supposed to see the OB at 9:15 anyway and decided I'd wait and ask her to check my cervix. Hubby and Peanut were planning to go to Sea World. Peanut had been asking to go for the past couple of weeks and it was the first day Hubby was free to take him. Peanut was so excited about it and I felt terrible bursting his bubble.

I didn't have any audible pops this time, just a wet sensation. I'd been so juicy anyway (TMI, I know), so at first I wasn't even sure if it was amniotic fluid or just the regular pregnancy mucous. I peed, got a fresh pad, and soaked it quickly. I told Hubby what was going on and we decided to take Peanut to daycare and head to the hospital. Hubby got Peanut up while I fed/watered the animals and got some last things together. I helped dress Peanut while Hubby showered, we explained he needed to go to daycare because we thought the baby was going to come and headed off in the car. By 7:30ish I was starting to feel contractions.

We dropped Peanut off around 8:15 and I was beginning to get uncomfortable contractions to the point where I couldn't walk during them, but wasn't in serious pain. We told the office and teachers what was going on and left his carseat and bag just in case a friend needed to pick him up. The teacher who lives in our neighborhood offered to take him home with her if necessary - she's such a sweetheart. He was such a trooper until it was time to leave. He cried so hard as we left. His teacher was great and held and comforted him.

We made it to the hospital shortly before 9. The contractions were getting painful. By the time we got to triage I was having to breathe through them. I was 4-5 cm dilated. The OB checked me once I moved to a labor room (the most uncomfortable walk of my life with some big contractions) and I was at 7 cm. The contractions were coming on fast and strong and I had a hard time breathing through them. Once I lay on the bed I felt a little better - I could relax and tolerate them a bit more. I was ready for the epidural but wondered if I'd have time to get one.

A short while later I began feeling like my abdomen was shaking during contractions and I had a lot of pressure. I was ready to push. The nurse had me roll back onto my back (I was on my side after Bean had some dips) and I was ready. I'm not sure how long I pushed, maybe 30 minutes. Wow, the urge is incredible (I was almost completely numb with Peanut and never felt it). With the help of the bed handle things I finally got into position for really good pushes and I could feel Bean moving down the birth canal. Finally he was out!

His Apgars were great - 9 I think. After his wipedown and checkover he latched on for a good 20 minutes!

Hubby went to the nursery for Bean's bath while I had lunch. We later moved into a room on the mother & baby hall. Luckily the other occupant was getting ready for discharge, so I had the room to myself for the first night. (The second night will make for a future post.) Hubby later brought Peanut to meet his little brother. He went over to Bean and told him he loved him and he is his bestest buddy (so cute). He thought Bean's hair tasted funny when he kissed him and wouldn't kiss him again until today!

Hubby and Peanut went home and Bean and I got to know each other. The nurses took him for a couple of hours so I could sleep, then brought him back to feed around midnight. Nursing has not been easy, so we're supplementing with pumped milk and a little formula. The second night was tough - Bean wanted to be held almost all night, so I only slept about 3 hours. He's sleeping better at home and Hubby was a great help last night letting me sleep for about 4 consecutive hours until I needed to get up to attempt a feeding and pump. Sometimes Bean latches on pretty well, but he falls asleep and never nurses for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Other times he won't latch at all and either falls asleep, even with lots of back scratching and stimulation, or he gets upset and squalls. He's a little jaundiced, so we want to make sure he's getting enough milk.

We see our regular pediatrician tomorrow and I'll ask about the nursing. I'll call the lactation consultants tomorrow or Tuesday if things don't get easier. I really want to nurse Bean without the hassle of pumping, but I'm up for it for now.


Cheeky said...

Congratulations! I'm glad that things went smoothly and are continuing to do so (more or less). I hope you'll post a picture...newborns are pretty anonymous. :-)

Aah, life with two little're in for a treat! :-D

StaceyG said...