Friday, August 22, 2008

I've loved mysteries since I was a kid. Scooby Doo was one of my all-time favorite shows. When I was a bit older, I discovered Agatha Christie (the Miss Marple books were my favorites) and Ngaio Marsh. I've gone through spells of reading murder mysteries on and off. About a year ago I dound the Cliff Janeway books by John Dunning and worked through the library's collection. My latest find was the Gregor Devorkian books by Jane Haddam. I'm working on the library's collection now.

Haddam's tales always have a cast of several characters which could be the murderer(s). I usually can't figure out who did it or why, with the exception of one story - I figured out who, but not why. My most recent read was one of the "I have no idea whodunnit" books - I love those. The story is set in a small Pennsylvania town. Except locations in that town are based on my hometown and the adjacent town - definitely not in rural PA. At first she named a couple of places with familiar names that could have been coincidental. Then she named a street with an unusual name, about a mile from where I grew up. Later, she included a bookstore Mom and I used to love (which sadly closed). An important location was a restaurant Mom and I used to frequent on Friday nights before grocery shopping at the Grand Union across the street...which happened to be just up the road from a seedy theater - all included in Haddam's novel, right down to the curve and hill on that road. It was strange to read a novel about horrible people in a fictitious town based on the place I grew up.

No comments: