Thursday, August 12, 2004

This morning I was stupid enough to listen to one of the dumbass morning radio shows for about 5 minutes, which was all I could take without beating the crap out of the radio. The topic was about gender-specific toys for children and whether or not boys should be given dolls or ea$y-bake ovens or whatever. One caller stated that she felt it was wrong because "that's just the way I feel." I wanted to puke. It's funny how it's OK for girls to play with trucks or trains, but it's not OK for boys to play with dolls other than army dolls or superheros. Which basically comes back to the whole ass-backwards thinking that "boy" stuff is better and more acceptable than "girl" stuff - that somehow "girl" stuff is stupid and fluffy and not "good" enough for boys. It's also one of the reasons I didn't want to find out the sex of the baby before birth (hubby wore me down and we're having the ultrasound in another coupla weeks). I know we will be buried in a flurry of gender-appropriate pink or blue stuff from family and friends, and I wanted to avoid that. I also wanted the big surprise at the baby's birth. Oh well. I got so sick of hearing "Well if you don't find out the sex we won't know what to get you." Ummm....last time I checked babies really didn't give a crap about the color of their clothes, blankies, binkies, bottles, etc. Onesies come in plenty of neutral colors and patterns and I have a feeling that's what the peanut will be wearing for a while.

Anyway, back to the whole boy/girl toy thing. It pisses me off. Why should it matter what your little one wants to play with. And why should a child be denied to opportunity to expand her/his imagination by playing with a new toy. All the gender-specific homophobic crap our society presses on us makes me angry and sad.

Oh, and I've been told by a couple of people I'm having a boy since I'm only carrying in the front and didn't actually puke when I had "morning" (haha) sickness. Girls get the bum rap even before birth. Get fat and dumpy and grow a big ass....it's a girl! Puke your guts out and feel like shit...definitely a girl! Grrrrr.

No comments: