Wednesday, May 19, 2004

The saga of lazy coworker (LC) continues....


It seems he's been disappearing, not doing his assigned work, and making up stories about it. We share him with another lab which gives him a lot of freedom and unsupervised time and apparently he's been abusing it. Yesterday a woman from the other lab came to me and informed me that he hasn't been doing the work he's supposed to, has been AWOL the last 2 or 3 days he has supposedly been working for them, and her supervisor is pissed (yet unfortunatley out of town for an unknown amount of time). So she and I spoke to my supervisor about the situation.

I ran into her again later in the day. In the interim, she had run into LC and asked him where he was the past 2 times he didn't show up. He claims that one day he had to pick his mom up from the airport. OK, it's possible, but that doesn't take all day, and he never said anything to me or my supervisor about it. He claims that on the other day, he was in the field working for my supervisor and that my boss was supposed to have called the other boss to let him know about it. One small problem: both my boss and I were out that day, and my boss didn't send him to the field. I'm thinking that tale was a big fat lie. The airport tale likely is, too. I informed boss of this and he's going to have a chat with LC. I'm thinking about pulling LC aside at some point and having a little heart-to-heart with him as well. He's putting us all, including himself, in a really shitty situation. The more he abuses his freedom, the less he'll have, and I really don't think he wants me or anyone else making unsheduled visits to make sure he's working.

All this basically means that the other woman and I will now have to babysit LC. I'm going to have to keep a detailed list of what he's supposed to be working on, both in my lab and in the other lab, and check up on him to make sure he's doing the work. Oh joy.

I think LC also pulled another fast one on us. Boss got mad a couple weeks ago when he couldn't track down LC (as usual), so LC gave us all his cell number so we can call him. Yesterday, a coworker was looking for LC, called him, and LC claimed to be in another area at work. Except he kept breaking up, and sounded nervous as if he was lying. Coworker is pretty sure LC was in his car.

***

Hubby goes a couple times a week to train with a martial artist who gives lessons from his home. Earlier this week, hubby went, and parked on the side of the road partially pulled onto the right-of-way between the roadway and sidewalk. When he returned to the car, he found a post-it note stuck to his windshield with the letterhead of a towing company and a written message telling him not to park on the grass. It was late, so hubby didn't bother trying to find who put the note on the car. The next morning he called the towing company and explained the situation. The person didn't know of any employees in that neighborhood, but said they'd look into it.

Here's the deal: Parking on a county roadway is not illegal and you cannot be towed unless your car has been abandoned for 7 or more days (the cops will come around and put an abandoned vehicle sticker on the windshield, with the date of placement. Seven days from that date have to pass for the vehicle to be "abandoned".) Hubby may try to find the owner of said sticker when he goes back tonight. He's also going to make a copy of the state statute regarding county roads and place that on his windshield. If this person has his car towed, they will be responsible for any charges incurred, and could be considered guilty of theft (not that he'd pursue charges). Most likely, the towing company won't remove the car anyway.

He wouldn't have been upset if someone had left a note asking him nicely to not park on the grass. But when someone leaves a note with towing letterhead on it, it looks a lot like a threat, and it changes the whole situation.

No comments: