Friday, February 03, 2006

Gramma always used to say this little rhyme...

Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where the posies is?

I googled it and found a bunch of websites that have variations on the rhyme, but couldn't find an author. Hmmph.

She taught me this one, too:

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill can hold more than his belican,
He can take in his beak, Food enough for a week,
But I’m damned if I see how the helican
(Dixon Merritt)


Spring (if you can call it that) has arrived. It's another rainy day, which reminds me of springtime in the north. The trees have had noticeable buds and flowers for the past couple of weeks and this week I noticed lots of fresh yellow-green new leaves flushing out. The swampy areas are especially spring-y.

I wish we had more of a spring season (as well as a fall) here. I love the progression of flowers, grass, and leaves visible in more temperate areas. I love the return of birds, especially robins, in the springtime.

But I know in a few more short weeks it'll be uncomfortably hot. Then ungodly hot. Summer will be here.

No comments: