Tuesday, April 20, 2004

I have been in an on-and-off-again foul mood since this weekend. Well, today I'm just in a foul mood.

Hubby started having spells of vetigo yesterday. He and I know it may be nothing but are both worried since he recently was in the car crash. The doctor couldn't find anything, suggested that it could be a viral infection affecting the inner ear, and prescribed an anti-vertigo medicine aptly named Antivert. Hubby goes back in a week for a followup. My immediate question was that if he's on this medicine, and he's feeling fine in a week, it could just mean that the medicine is masking his symptoms. If the symptoms are still there, hubby will need an MRI in case there are brain issues that the CAT scan from 3 weeks ago didn't pick up.

And even with all this going on, I've still been a bear to hubby. Last night he kept pissing me off. I don't know if he meant to be snotty or was just tired, but he had an annoying tone whenever he'd answer a question. So I'd jump all over him, he'd get pissed, and say that he hadn't meant anything. I feel like shit for going all postal on him, but I'm still cranky enough that I'd do it again. Arrrgh.

Then there are the minor annoyances that keep coming. Like my co-worker (the lazy one who disappears for hours at a time and seems to live on the phone in the mostly unoccupied lab) who complained to me yesterday that he got yelled at for washing the lab vehicle behind the shop. He told me about it and I had to clamp my mouth shut to avoid asking him why the fuck he was telling me this and why should I care. I'm sure there's more to the story. Maybe the shop guys were just being assholes (it's very likely) or maybe it's because he's gone there and used other stuff he shouldn't have. Or maybe it's because he just assumed he could use the hose without asking first. Anyway, I really couldn't care less and don't whine to me about it.

Then there's the ongoing mysterious order for lab items that the vendor can't find. When I place orders for our employee who works at an off-campus government lab, this company gets all shitty because we have contract pricing, so they don't want to ship anywhere else. Which means I can't simply call it in our use their website. I faxed an order last week, received no confirmation even though I specifically requested one, so I called a couple days later. The rocket scientist I spoke to could find no record of said order and told me to e-mail a new one. So yesterday I e-mailed the order again, specifying that it had been previously placed and again requested confirmation. Nothing. So I called again today and spoke to someone who actually had 2 brain cells to rub together. She couldn't find any record of the order, even though it has already been received by the other lab. I called the other lab, and it turns out they received an invoice by fax last week. So why the fuck can't anyone find the freaking order? And I just know they're going to ship it again, so I told my guy not to accept the package and send it back. Which means I have to do all sorts of extra bullshit paperwork for my business office.

The icing on the cake had to be this story. I realized that it would be fluffy since it was on MSNdotcom. But I figured that it was good they were drawing attention to the fact that women on average do make less pay than men. Then I came to the end of the story. Apparently all that doesn't matter, because women are more likely to be satisfied with their jobs, regardless of the pay inequality. Yay, I'm a little lady and I'm happy with my job. Why, maybe I'll go find one that pays even less, and be even happier. Hahahaha. Who says a woman is never satisfied, my ass.

I need a fucking vacation.

No comments: